Nursing Home Negligence
Knowledgeable Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Illinois
What Is Nursing Home Abuse?
While many nursing homes are devoted to providing compassionate caregiving to their residents, not all supply quality care. When a nursing home resident isn’t cared for properly, or worse, suffers from physically abusive treatment from the staff, the circumstances may add up to nursing home abuse. Abuse can surface in many forms: physical, sexual, mental, emotional, social, and financial. If you or a loved one has been a victim of this kind of mistreatment, it’s critical to retain an experienced lawyer for nursing home abuse.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
It’s important for family members to be observant and aware of the potential risks for abuse when a senior citizen lives in a nursing home. Often, it’s an elderly person’s family and friends who must speak up and advocate for them if abuse is suspected. Common types of nursing home abuse include:
- Physical – Hitting, kicking, burning, biting, scratching, or any other method of inflicting physical harm or discomfort upon the victim.
- Mental – Being repeatedly berated, belittled, demeaned, or insulted.
- Emotional or Social – Consistently ignoring an elderly person, withholding affection, being verbally aggressive toward them, or isolating them.
- Financial – Seniors may be pressured into giving up their financial information, or their data might be stolen by caregivers.
- Sexual – Any type of unwanted or forced sexual contact.
- Neglect – Failing to provide required care. Victims may not receive adequate medical attention, food, or help with personal hygiene.
Working with experienced nursing home neglect lawyers is essential if you or a loved one has suffered nursing home abuse. Contact LeFante Law Offices in Illinois today to schedule a free consultation.
How Would I Know if an Elderly Person Was Being Abused?
Some signs of abuse are obvious, like bruises, welts, bleeding, or broken bones. Other signs include:
- Bed sores or pressure ulcers
- Sudden change in personality
- Broken personal items, like glasses
- Neglect of personal hygiene
- Weight loss
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Reluctance to speak around caregivers, or being fearful of caregivers
- Unexplained infections, viruses, or diseases
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or genital injuries
- Missing money or valuables, or unpaid bills
At LeFante Law Offices, our caring team can help you uncover the facts and seek compensation for the harm stemming from elder abuse.
The Importance of Retaining an Experienced Attorney
Cases of nursing home abuse can be complicated, especially if the victim suffers from cognitive issues or has difficulty communicating. Retaining an experienced lawyer for nursing home abuse is the best way to get help with these troubling cases. Skilled nursing home lawyers understand the state laws governing senior care facilities, and they know the laws pertaining to elder abuse. An experienced lawyer can review your situation and give you an accurate assessment as to whether or not you have a case that could result in compensation. At LeFante Law Offices, we’ll examine your case carefully to determine if the nursing home could be held liable, and we’ll help you move forward if the facts support further action.
What Can the Attorneys at LeFante Law Offices Do?
At LeFante Law Offices, we provide a no-cost consultation so we can meet with you and discuss your concerns. You usually won’t have to pay anything until you receive compensation from your case. When we meet with you, we’ll scrutinize the facts and help you understand what’s involved in pursuing appropriate legal action.
A Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit Can Protect Elderly Residents
If you or a loved one has suffered nursing home abuse, it’s unfortunately likely that others have been victimized as well. When a nursing home abuse lawyer steps in, they can take immediate steps to stop abuse or neglect. In many cases, these actions protect the other residents as well as the person making the complaint. Nursing home lawyers will also report instances of abuse and neglect to the proper authorities to ensure mistreatment stops.
Why Choose LeFante Law Offices in Illinois?
At LeFante Law Offices, our highly skilled team of attorneys has extensive experience handling nursing home abuse cases. We’ve seen heartbreaking cases of elder abuse and are committed to protecting seniors, who are some of our most vulnerable citizens. No one should have to worry about the care their parent or grandparent receives while in a nursing home.
Contact LeFante Law Offices
We have years of experience handling complex cases like those involving nursing home abuse. The team of lawyers at LeFante Law Offices can help with all types of personal injury cases, such as auto accidents, workers’ compensation issues, medical malpractice, and slip-and-fall accidents. Contact us today for more information or to schedule a free consultation.